BORED? Play our free word games – INTERACTIVE HANGMAN
Pleonasm / Redundant Quotations
Here is an entertaining selection of funny quotations from commentators, politicians, celebrities, newsreaders, TV presenters, and sportsmen around the world.
They are all pleonastic, containing superfluous, unnecessary words.
- "And that's a self-portrait of himself, by himself."
- "Now we go into lap 53, the penultimate last lap but one."
- "It looks like being a busy weekend on the ferries, particularly Saturday and Sunday."
- "It was a sudden and unexpected surprise."
Old Bailey Correspondent for the BBC
- "I never make predictions, especially about the future."
- "It's deja vu all over again."
- "Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined."
- "Sometimes you can observe a lot just by watching."
- "If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
Former Vice-President Dan Quayle
- "They've written their own number – it's an original number and it's written by themselves."
- "So the VAT [Tax] increase on a secondhand car is just another added addition."
- "Just look at that [ice skating result]. Nine 'six' marks, every one of them a 'six'."
- "With a couple of minutes to go he had scored two goals in a two-minute period."
- "The answer's an affirmative 'yes'."
- "I am speaking from a deserted and virtually empty Crucible Theatre."
- "With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go."
- "I don't normally do requests, unless I'm asked to."
- "And there's the Victoria Memorial, built as a memorial to Victoria."
- "The robbery was committed by a pair of identical twins. Both are said to be aged about 20."
- "When large numbers of men are unable to find work, unemployment results."
- "Trapped, like a trap in a trap."
- "Smoking can kill you, and if you've been killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."
- "Football is an incredible game. Sometimes it's so incredible, it's unbelievable."
More about Redundancy, Pleonasm, and Tautology
Do you know anyone else who would enjoy this? Email this page to a friend.
Also: Sign up for our free web site updates here.